We shared this cake at the last swap and there were requests for the recipe. Really easy to whip up in no time at all; just need a mixing bowl and spatula and mix by hand. It is vegan too, if you don’t add the chocolate ganache topping like I did. I’m not sure where I got the recipe from many years ago but credit goes to whoever’s original recipe it is. It has been a favourite birthday cake for many years…
Eggless, Butterless, Milkless Chocolate Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar (my cake had half the sugar)
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
2 cups water
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together.
2. Combine all the wet ingredients together in another bowl.
3. Pour the liquid ingredients all at once into the dry ingredients, and beat until smooth.
4. Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven for 20-25 minutes. Let cool in pan. When cool sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar (or top with chocolate ganache* like I did if you’re not vegan).
*Chocolate ganache – 100ml cream + 100g choc, zap on low in the microwave until melted. Stir well and cover a cool cake.